Institutional Investment Consulting
Our institutional investment consulting services is governed by the rules, principles, practices and procedures of ERISA, UMIFA and UPIA. We understand the legal precedents, applicable rules, guidelines and best practices that govern the delivery of investment services to institutional investors.
Scope of Work
Asset Allocation and Liability Studies
- Performing comprehensive liability analysis
- Coordinating liability analysis findings with the client actuary
- Calculating and projecting Fund solvency
- Establishing asset classes and benchmarks
- Establishing long-term market-return expectations and correlations for the asset classes
- Recommending appropriate risk tolerances, and
- Recommending appropriate long-term asset allocation targets and ranges
Investment Policies Guidelines and Implementation
- Performance benchmarks and objectives
- Targeted portfolio structures
- Risk parameters
- Allowable investments
- Program roles and responsibilities
- Program cost effectiveness
- Participate in annual planning sessions with the Board and staff
- Strategic and tactical approaches, and
- Rebalance funds in coordination with the IPS to maintain/implement establish objectives
Performance Monitoring and Reporting
- Reconciling performance figures with the investment custodian
- Provide quarterly performance evaluation reports consistent with respective benchmarks, performance objectives, guidelines and risk levels
- Provide expert market commentary and trends
- Compliance and exceptions to policies, strategies and guidelines
- Asset transition cost reports prepared in conjunction with the client designee, and
- Performance vs. benchmarks and objectives
- Asset class composites
- Market managers, and
- Other reports as requested
Due Diligence for Public and Private Market Managers
- Development of evaluation factors and methods, evaluating proposals, interviewing managers, making recommendations and implementing the selection and termination of managers.
- Reviewing the benchmarks, performance objectives, risk tolerance and investment guidelines for the selected market managers.
Market Research and Education
- Proactively advise Board and administrative staff of new investment vehicles and techniques or major changes in existing practices within the industry and, upon request, prepare a comprehensive analysis and make recommendations concerning these developments.
- Participate in ad hoc workshops on specific issues designated by the Board.
- Respond to Board member and/or staff inquires.
- Share all firm research, including research papers.
- Provide assistance on special projects as needed.