Who is an “Investment Fiduciary” Under The Law?
An investment fiduciary is someone who manages the assets of another person and stands in a special relationship of trust, confidence, and legal responsibility.
As an investment fiduciary, we provide businesses, nonprofit organizations, including state & local governments with a number of investment advisory and fiduciary consulting services:
1. Asset allocation and liability studies
2. Writing and implementation of Investment policies that outlines the principles, practices and procedures of fiduciary responsibility of Plan Sponsors, Investment Managers and Financial Advisors
3. Performance monitoring and reporting
4. Retirement plan enrollment meetings and employee educational seminars
5. Comprehensive financial planning for employees
6. Investment consulting due diligence and selection private market Money Managers
7. Economic and Market Research and Education
8. Independent fiduciary and ERISA investment management services
As an Accredited Investment Fiduciary Analyst (AIFA®) practitioner, Martin A. Smith is able to provide the accurate assessment of an investment fiduciary organization to determine if their practice conforms to a Fiduciary Standard of Excellence; and whether the organization has satisfied the Forty Six Practices Practice requirements for receiving the Center for Fiduciary Excellence (CEFEX) Certification.
While all financial advisors have fiduciary responsibility, only those who have earned the AIFA® Designation (i.e. Martin A. Smith) are formally recognized by the Center for Fiduciary Studies for demonstrating a full understanding of how to implement the practices and processes to help clients with investment fiduciary & consulting needs, fulfill their fiduciary obligations.
- Evaluate your organization’s current fiduciary practices and recommend actions that address risk areas and help ensure compliance with applicable state and federal statutes and regulations.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive investment policy statement that documents all of the processes and procedures that will be used to manage your portfolio.
- Analyze and optimize your portfolio’s asset allocation strategy to better align with the plan or fund’s specific investment objective or the demographic needs of plan participants.
- Apply objective standards for evaluating and recommending appropriate investment options for your portfolio.
- Monitor and report performance of your portfolio and its underlying investments on an ongoing basis and recommending changes, when necessary.
- Serve as a resource for education and assistance to help you understand and fulfill your fiduciary obligations with greater confidence.
- Selection of service providers
- Investment committee roles and responsibilities
- Governance processes
- Investment evaluation and selection processes
- Investment fees and service costs
- Performance review protocols
- Documentation of investment processes and decisions
- Risk management processes
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Conflict of interest policies
Fiduciary Practices for Investment Stewards
Through Our Investment Advisory and Fiduciary Consulting Services, We Define, Outline and Implement the Prudent Practices for a Fiduciary Standard of Excellence. At Wealthcare Financial Group, Inc. we adhere to a Fiduciary Standard of Excellence for improving an Investment Steward’s decision-making process. The excellence is established by twenty-two Prudent Practices (“Practices”) which provide the framework of a disciplined investment process. The Practices are further supported by Criteria, which represent the details of the Fiduciary Standard of Excellence.